Thursday, September 20, 2012

Pillars, Gardens, and Obelisks

One of the perks of living in Rome is the public parks and historic monuments. One that I did not expect to stumble across was Mussolini's summer villa, but lo and behold, this former dictator's elaborate house and grounds are open to the public as a large, lovely park!! It's perfect for strolling around, or (as I have used it) going for runs. Jo and I ran here the other day, and it kind of blew our minds... we went running in Mussolini's backyard!


This is one of the first things that you see when you enter the main gates--a 20-foot obelisk. The man did not exactly hold back when he designed this place.


Doesn't this look like it's in Egypt? Mussolini imported this obelisk from Egypt, and planted copious amounts of palm trees around his grounds. It feels exotic. 

 

...and there's the main villa! This is taken from near the base of the obelisk. It's huge, and really quite a lovely place. Notice that it looks like a temple...



I was honestly most surprised by the fact that it's not very well kept up. I have a couple theories as to why that is, but I'd better not hazard a guess. The stairs have lots of weeds growing on them, and the grounds in general are somewhat in disrepair. There are several areas roped off and under construction--maybe for renovation. It's a large, public park that many locals frequent, and especially comes alive on the weekends. I spent a few hours soaking it all in on Sunday afternoon. It seemed like such an odd contrast--people are walking their dogs and letting their children play in the summer villa of a former dictator. 


More temple-like architecture...


Belissima!!


Can you find obelisk #2 in this picture? :) 




I spent a while sitting and sketching this tower. The grounds house a number of buildings--a theater, a greenhouse, and a few buildings that are a little vague in my understanding... this whole building looks like a mosque, but I'm not sure what Mussolini used it for. 

All-in-all, this park is a lovely, pleasant surprise. Rome is full of surprises and hidden gems--hope I stumble upon some more! 

1 comment: