Sunday, September 16, 2012

Fountains, Cobblestones, and Gelato

In the past two days, I have strolled by the Colosseum, gazed at the Trevi fountain all lit up in the evening, stood in a 1st Century apartment, observed frescoes in a church from the 3rd century, shopped along the Via del Corso, eaten white peach gelato with lavender at the Gelateria del Teatro tucked behind the lovely Piazza Navona, surveyed paintings stacked at the open-air markets in the shadow of Bernini's Fontana dei Quattro Fiumi (four-rivers fountain), eaten quattro formaggi (four cheese) pizza with miele insalate (honey salad), done my best Audrey Hepburn as I climbed the Spanish Steps, and heard Italian chanted in a mass in the ornate Basilica de S. Maria in Aracceli at the top of the majestic Monumento Vittorio Emanuele II.

I think I'm dreaming.

I honestly can't do a reflective post right now--I feel like I'm drinking from a fire hose. So here's  a photo dump!


The Colosseum hangin' out at the end of the street. I don't think I'll ever get used to this. :)



The Basilica di San Clemente--a Renaissance-era church dedicated to Saint Clement built on top of a 3rd Century version of the same, which is built on top of a series of 1st Century apartments in which a Mithraic cult did pagan rituals, which is built on top of something from 1st century B.C. which is below the water-line, so we couldn't go there. But talk about history--we walked through a couple milennia! Bummer that no pictures were allowed, though. There was beautiful art!


:) The sun came out as we passed the Colosseum--this is on the hill facing it. 


Aaah!! 


We're really here. Whaaaat???


First time eating out. I'm still getting used to having to pay for water, but it's worth it since the food is so delicious...


...my four cheese pizza and honey salad. Delicioso!


This little gem is tucked behind the Piazza Navona. It's called Gelateria dei Teatro, and has fantastic flavors--white peach with lavender, lemon with rosemary, and pure chocolate, to name a few. Picturesque and definitely a moment to remember. 


Fountain next to the....


...Pantheon!! Group photo. This thing is HUGE. We're standing about 75 yards away from it at this point, and it's still that big. Definitely awe-inspiring... We're beginning to learn about the significance of the architecture, too, which will help me appreciate it more. I do know that those are Corinthian columns! (shout-out to Mommy's 3rd grade homeschooling)



Words. Fail. This is also larger than I expected. 


With my dear friend at the Monumento Vittorio Emanuele II! 


Love these girls already! I think the flowers in the shape of the Italian flag are a neat touch... Oh, also the giant marble building with the sky-high pillars. That's cool, too. 


Climbing the Monumento! (very actively, of course)


<3 Roma!!



My over-the-shoulder shot of two performers playing accordion while we ate lunch sitting at a Chinese Restaurant on the Piazza dei Oratorio. I'm a little ashamed that it was the first weekend and I was eating Chinese food, but they accepted our meal tickets, and the food was delicious. Guilt-free. :) 



Perfect ending to the day--my adaptation of a Caprese-like salad with roasted garlic and basil chicken. On a terrace.

....in Rome. Praise the Lord. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment